Hot Cross Bun 十字包
Ingredients for 16
- 435g Bread flour
- 6g Instant yeast
- 100g brown sugar
- 1-1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4g salt
- 70g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 180ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 70g raisin
- 70g cranberries
- Flour cross
- 40g bread flour
- icing sugar + milk
- Combine the ingredients for the dough (except raisin and cranberries) in the mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed until the dough comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl for 2-3 minutes. Dough should be a little sticky and soft. Keep the dough in the mixer and beat for another 2 minutes. Cover and let the dough rise at 35C for 45 minutes.
- Punch the dough gently to release air. Divide into 16 equal portions. Cover and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape each into a round ball and arrange them in two 8×8 inch baking tray. Let them rise at 35C for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the cross ingredients together. You need a thick paste that will pipe easily. Spoon the paste into a pipiing bag and pipe a line down the center of each row of the buns, then repeat in the other direction.
- Bake the buns at 180C for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Mix together the icing ingredients and brush on the warm buns.