Homemade gnocchi with saffron cream sauce
With just a few simple ingredients, you can easily make this classic dumplings at home. Gnocchi is always good to pair with pesto or cream sauce. This is a delicious pasta to serve for any occasion.
Ingredients (3-4 servings)
- 400g potatoes
- 200g all purpose flour, more for kneading and rolling
- ½ teaspoon salt
- half egg, lightly beaten
Instructions for handmade gnocchi
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, partially cover the pot and simmer the potatoes until they are completely tender, around 30-35 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool. Peel and mash the potatoes in a large bowl. Let cool.
- Mix the flour and salt in a small bowl. Add the egg to the potatoes, then add to the flour. Mix until the mixture comes together, then transfer to a lightly floured work surface.
- Knead gently until the flour is incorporated and the dough is soft and smooth (don’t overmix otherwise the gnocchi will be tough).
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. With the palms of both hands, roll the dough piece to 40cm in length. With a sharp knife, cut crosswise to 2cm pieces. To shape the gnocchi, place the lines of a fork on the gnocchi, press down lightly and the gnocchi should capture the lines of the fork.
- Set each gnocchi on a plate, lightly dust with flour if needed until you are ready to boil them.
Ingredients for the sauce (2 servings)
- 80g green peas
- half piece, white onion, diced into 1cm
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 0.5g saffron thread
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 140ml vegetable stock
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- pinch salt
Instructions for the sauce
- Place the saffron in the wine for 10 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add the gnocchi and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil, onion, ginger and salt in a frying pan and cook until the onion is transparent.
- Add the saffron and wine, stock, green peas and bring to a boil. Add milk and gnocchi, mix well and serve.