One of my favorite dish is mushroom risotto. It is easy to cook and you can add any kind of mushroom as you like. This time I used black morel. It has a honeycomb appearance and nutty taste whether cooked or dried. Saute with butter can bring out its subtle flavor.
Ingredients for 2 persons
- 160g Arborio rice or other risotto rice
- any flavored mushroom, trimmed, cleaned and cut to bite size (for dried mushroom, soak in water and save the water to use with the stock)
- 40ml dry white wine
- 400-500 ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- grated Parmesan cheese
- salt & ground black pepper
Bring the stock to simmer in a saucepan.
Melt the butter in another saucepan over medium heat, add mushroom, shallot and garlic and saute for few minutes.
Add the rice and stir until the rice is half transparent. Add wine and bring to a boil, let the liquid reduce by half.
Add the simmering stock, 50-60ml at a time, stir to keep the rice from sticking to the edges of the saucepan. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next cup.
Repeat the process until the rice is just cooked and slightly chewy. The process takes around 20-25 minutes.