- 1 chicken (900g frozen spring chicken, rinsed & patted dry, cut into 6 pieces)
- carrots, cut into chunks
- onions, chopped
- cherry tomatoes, chopped
- garlic, crushed
- thyme, bay leaf, chopped fresh parsley
- ground black pepper
- 250ml red wine
- 30ml Cognac
- pearl onions
- mushrooms, thinly sliced
- bacon, chopped
- beurre manie – 1 part softened butter & 1 part all purpose flour (1 tablespoon butter & 1 tablespoon flour)
How to make
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and layer carrots, chopped onions, tomato, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, parsley and pepper evenly over the chicken. Mix together the red wine, Cognac and olive oil in another bowl. Pour the mixture over the chicken and vegetables, marinate at least 6 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Remove the chicken and reserve the marinade. Place the chicken in the frying pan and brown each side. Set aside. Cook the vegetables in the same frying pan for few minutes until tender.
- Arrange the chicken and vegetables in a baking dish, pour the marinade into the dish. Add a little bit of salt and sugar over the mixture, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, fry the bacon until crispy and set aside. Saute the mushroom and onions until tender. When the chicken has cooked for 20 minutes, add the bacon, mushroom and onions. Cover and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Mix the softened butter and all-purpose flour with your hands, knead until the flour is incorporated into the butter. Add this to the chicken for the last few minutes of cooking.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from oven and stir the sauce. Allow to sit for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened before serving.
Recipe adapted from the spruce.