Dal Bhat Tarkari
Dal bhat tarkari is a traditional Nepalese dish. It is a combination of lentil soup, rice and vegetable curry. This dish is typically served on a stainless steel serving platter, with a bowl of dal (lentil soup), steamed rice (bhat), a serving of vegetable curry and some pickles. Nepalese eat dal bhat twice a day as they believe in dal bhat power 24 hour.
Dal palak (spinach lentil soup)
Ingredients 2 servings
- 80g split pigeon pea, washed and soaked overnight
- 30g spinach, chopped
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seed
- ¼ teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ large tomato, chopped
- 300g water
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- Saute the cumin seeds, ginger and garlic in oil for 30 seconds until garlic turns golden brown. Add the chopped tomato and spices.
- Add the drained pigeon pea and water, stir well.
- Cook in medium high heat and bring to a boil. Turn to low heat, cover with lid and cook until tender, around 30 minutes.
- Add chopped spinach and garam masala. Simmer for another few minutes until the lentils start to boil and the spinach is mixed with the lentils.
- Ready to serve.
- half head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 potato, cubed
- half onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- half inch ginger, chopped
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-1/2 tablespoon oil
- salt & pepper
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds until lightly toasted. Add onion, garlic and ginger, saute until onion is cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and cook down for a minute or two. Next, add the potatoes and cauliflower, stir and mix. Then pour the water and season with salt & pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and tender. Adjust seasoning and stir in the chopped cilantro.