Daikon is often used in simmered dishes and hot pots in Japanese cuisine. みぞれ煮is a kind of simmered dish with grated radish added which looks like snow mixed with rain.
- 400g daikon (radish)
- 3 shitake
- 3-5 mini tomatoes
- 400ml konbu dashi (stock)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- dash salt
- cornstarch & water
- Mix the seasonings except cornstarch water.
- Peel the daikon. Cut half into 1.5cm slices, and grate the remaining.
- Arrange daikon slices in a saucepan and fill with rice water. Cook for 10 minutes and drain.
- Pour the sauce to the daikon and simmer until tender, around 20 minutes.
- Add the grated radish and the mini tomatoes, bring to a boil and add the cornstarch water.
- Garnish with green onion and serve hot.