There are many names for snowball cookies – Russian tea cookies, boule de neige, Mexican wedding cakes, sables, and whatever the names are, they are similar cookies with only slight variations. Walnuts and pecans can be added to give them a savory interior.
- 50g cake flour, sifted
- 15g caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- dash of salt
- 15g macademia nuts, chopped
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until incorporated. Add the nuts and mix well. Wrap the dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide into small doughs of 12g each. Place each small dough between your palms and make it into a small ball.
- Place the dough balls on baking sheets.
- Bake at 170C for 16~18 minutes. Do not overbake as the cookies should be only lightly browned.
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. While cookies are still warm, gently roll them in the powdered sugar until they are nicely coated.
**For chocolate or green tea flavor, add 5g cocoa powder/green tea powder and deduct 5g cake flour.