Chiffon cake gets its fluffy and pillowy texture from the whipped egg whites. It is so basic that you can add any flavor to make it fancy. Anything you can think of: lemon, orange, chocolate, or with strawberries and whipped cream.
Ingredients (15~17cm cake pan)
60g cake flour, sifted two times
3 eggs, whites (keep refrigerated until use) and yolks (room temperature), separated
20g granulated sugar, for egg yolk
50g granulated sugar, for egg white
35ml vegetable oil
5cm vanilla bean, scrape the vanilla caviar
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolk and 20g sugar until mixture is light in color and looks slightly thickened.
- Combine oil, water, vanilla caviar and slowly add to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well. Add flour and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 50g sugar and continue whisking until still peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold a quarter of the egg whites into the batter until evenly incorporated. Then gently fold in the remaining egg whites until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake at 180C for about 25~35 minutes until the surface of the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool upside down by inserting a bottle to the tin hole.
- To remove the cake after it is completely cooled, insert a knife and move around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Let the cake fall gently on the cake board.