This is a healthy version of the Chinese meatball 獅子頭 with tofu added. It can be served with rice or cook with shiratake noodles for a low calorie dish.
- 160g ground pork
- 120g medium firm tofu (木綿豆腐)
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoon cooking wine
- 4 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 600ml water
- 100ml konbu dashi
How to make
1.Remove water from the tofu. Place the tofu block on two pieces of paper towels., then put another piece on top. Place something heavy on the tofu to squeeze out the moisture. If the paper towels become too wet, you may replace another fresh layer. I usually use a small frying pan or a book to put on the tofu. Make sure the weight is pressed down evenly across the top of the tofu and not too heavy to make the tofu crumble. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes or until the paper towels stop absorbing water.
2. Cut the cabbage into quarters.
3. Place the minced pork in a bowl, add ginger, salt & pepper and mix with a pair of chopsticks in one direction until it becomes sticky. Add the tofu and mix well.
4. Divide into 4 pieces and make each into a ball.
5. In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Put the patties in and brown each side. Then add the cabbage and seasoning. Cover with a lid and cook to boil, then continue to cook in low heat for about 15 minutes until fully cooked.