There are many names for snowball cookies – Russian tea cookies, boule de neige, Mexican wedding cakes, sables, and whatever the names are, they are similar cookies with only slight variations. Walnuts and pecans can be added to give them a savory interior.
Ingredients (approx. 18 pieces)
100g all purpose flour, sifted
50g almond powder, sifted
1g baking powder, sifted
60g unsalted butter, softened
30g granulated sugar
2 egg yolks, room temperature
dash of salt
powdered sugar for dusting
- Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar. Add in egg yolk one at a time and make sure it is fully incorporated before adding in the other one.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients except powdered sugar and mix into a dough.
- Divide into small doughs of 15g each. Place each small dough between your palms and make it into a small ball.
- Place the dough balls on baking sheets.
- Bake at 160C for 25~28 minutes. Do not overbake as the cookies should be only lightly browned.
- Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes. While cookies are still warm, gently roll them in the powdered sugar until they are nicely coated.