Eggplant is one of the best vegetable substitute to make these vegetarian meatballs. This dish can be served as an appetizer, or on top of pasta as a main course.
- olive oil
- eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt & pepper
- garlic cloves, crushed
- fresh basil, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 180C. Line the baking sheet with parchment sheet.
- Place ½ tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggplant and some water. Season with salt & pepper, cook until tender. Transfer to a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the other ingredients into the eggplant. Form the mixture into small balls and place on the baking pan. Bake until firm and browned, about 20-25 minutes.
- Heat some tomato sauce in a skillet. Add the meatballs and simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with basil leaves.